|10||Lemon (Peel 6 for oleo-saccharum, reserve for juice = 1 1/3 cups)|
|2||T||Sugar (for oleo-saccharum)|
|1 3⁄4||c||Simple syrup (turbinado, see note)|
|2||c||Cognac, Pierre Ferrand 1840|
|1||q||Demerara Rum, El Dorado 5|
|1||Nutmeg (grated, as garnish)|
Make an oleo-saccharum: Place the peels of 6 lemons in a glass bowl, add the sugar, muddle, then cover in plastic wrap and let sit somewhere warm for a few hours, or in the refrigerator overnight. When the oleo-saccharum is ready and you're ready to make the punch, juice all the lemons and dissolve the oleo-saccharum into the lemon juice. In a large saucepan, heat the milk until steaming, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients. Stir vigorously until the milk curdles and the clear liquid separates. Strain through cheesecloth and adjust for strength (with water) or sweetness (with syrup). May be served warm or cold. Grate nutmeg to garnish.
To make the turbinado syrup, dissolve a cup of turbinado sugar in 1.5 cups of hot water.
This is a riff on the classic Mary Rockett's Punch from Dave Wondrich's "Punch".
- The Notorious F.L.I.P. — Jamaican rum, Bonal Gentiane Quina, Whole egg, Demerara syrup, Amaro Nardini, Nutmeg
- The White Death — Bourbon, Cognac, Herbal liqueur, Milk, Honey
- Unusual Safari Pour — Jamaican rum, Egg white foam, Lime juice, Pineapple juice, Hibiscus syrup, Simple syrup
- Oh Flip — St. Lucian Rum, Cognac, Becherovka, Bitters, Whole egg, Sugar, Black pepper, Cinnamon
- Athol Brose (The Coachman) — Blended Scotch, Milk, Honey syrup, Coffee, Nutmeg
- Gold Coast Fizz — American Whiskey, Cherry Liqueur, Walnut Liqueur, Soda water, Egg yolk, Espresso syrup, Orange juice
- Los Angeles Cocktail — Bourbon, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Nutmeg, Whole egg, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Baltimore Eggnog — Brandy, Madeira, Jamaican rum, Whole egg, Heavy cream, Simple syrup, Cinnamon, Nutmeg
- Bananas Foster Flip — Cognac, Rum, Crème de Banane, Bitters, Whole egg, Heavy cream
- Orgeat Milk Punch à la Colliau — Brandy, Añejo rum, Milk, Orgeat, Cream, Nutmeg